Cathie Jung, "Queen of Corsets", who holds the World's Guinness Record for smallest waist, will be making a rare appearance in New York City to preside over The Grand Corset Ball, taking place at The Down Town Association, a private, 19th Century historical landmark on March 28th.
The Grand Corset Ball echoes the historical balls of Venice Carnivale, combining costumed pageantry with live music and ballroom dancing, corset lacing demonstrations, burlesque performances and other unique highlights:
• Q&A session on the art of waist training. Our Queen of the ball Cathie Jung, whose waist is roughly the size of a jar of mayonnaise, will speak about the experience of wearing a corset as part of her lifestyle over 30 years.
• Beginner’s Viennese slow waltz lesson by competitive ballroom dance instructor, Travis Plowman
• 19th Century music with live chamber musicians
• Live burlesque performances featuring Perle Noire (US) wearing a 10 piece custom designed transformation costume by Lace Embrace. Aseult (France) performing her latest number from the Venice Carnivale
• On exhibit: A corset display featuring rare pieces from Melanie and Cathie’s personal collections, including Cathie's famous sterling silver corset
• Learn from corset designers, collectors and waist training experts about their tips and inspiration in our corset pageant
More than a fancy dress ball, guests experience a Royal Ball. Select ticket levels from Knights & Ladies up to Dukes & Duchesses to be part of the Royal Court.
Expert Corsetiere, Melanie Talkington of Lace Embrace Atelier is the visionary of the Grand Corset Ball. The BGC Gallery exhibit, Fashioning the Body: an Intimate History of the Silhouette features pieces from her world's largest antique corset collection.
With the surging interest in waist training brought on by celebrity endorsement, this is a unique opportunity for corset aficionados and curious guests alike to meet and learn from corset experts and influencers.